Consulting Chronicles, Six Lessons You Cannot Learn In Business School

I had just finished my MBA, had a few business connections and also going through a divorce. Truly, the worst of times and the best of times for me. ChrissyBiz Solutions had been in my heart for more than a year, but the opportunities to really get things going were far and few in between.

I needed to bring in an income for myself and my son, but I was in no position (emotionally) to deal with a nine to five, and the corporate hustle. It is amazing how the end of seasons in our lives can really be the beginning of something new.

What does this have to do with business? Everything! These tense circumstances and uncomfortable conditions were exactly what I needed to push me over the edge. Maybe you are going through life-altering things right now and feel you cannot possibly birth your dream right now. Think again.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin



If you are looking for the perfect time to bring your business to life, it will never happen.

You see, there are things we need in business that we cannot get through education, internships, or volunteer work. There are character traits we must develop and cultivate to be successful.

1. Learning Patience

I'm not talking about having patience with others, but yourself. I was one of those people who did well academically and just assumed that it would translate into my business life...boy was I wrong. So many things were coming my way at the same time that I would frequently just melt down. Of course, that is no solution.

You will make mistakes and have ups and downs, that is why it is a good idea to write your vision out and mission. Thankfully, I had a few people in my corner to remind me that Rome was not built in a day.

2. Continuing Education

There is really no time to stop learning when it comes to internet marketing or anything that has to do with technology. I have also found that regardless of the industry I write for, there are resources I have to keep updated in order to remain relevant. The same is for you. Whether it is a meetup group or a local networking mixer you attend, you must find ways to continuously educate yourself.

3. Socializing 

If you are not a social person, you will need to become one. So much of business is about relationships and getting to know a person that it is impossible to leave out social activities and really get your name out there. You can join your local chamber of commerce, volunteer at charity events, or be a sponsor for a nonprofit, but people want to get to know the person behind the product or service in many cases.

4. Discipline

There may not be a micro-managing boss around to keep you on task, but as an entrepreneur, you will need the discipline of a soldier. The opportunities before you are only as plentiful as you make them; they are also time sensitive. Disciplining yourself to tackle a portion of your duties for an allotted amount of time each day can be difficult but necessary. You will find your rhythm with practice and it will get easier as time goes on.

5. Affirmations and Self Talk

Take the time to write out some quotes or scriptures that build you up. Write them down and put them on a mirror, a post-it on your computer, or anywhere else you are sure to see it daily. There may be times you don't feel like saying them, but seeing them will make a difference.

Daily, I remind myself that I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Everything worthwhile comes through adversity, and there is no one else like me in the world. These have helped me when I didn't get the support I expected from family and friends; they have also re-focused me when I felt down after a failure.

Talk to yourself and build yourself up. Tell yourself that you can do it and that any obstacle in the way is temporary. There is no one else like you either - God creates all originals!

6. There is Purpose in the Process

Your road to success will look different from someone else's, and it is sure to leave you confused, sad, depressed, happy, excited, and everything else in between at times. It's just the nature of things. But while you strive and learn, continue to pluck away at your goals, you are changing and you are developing something within yourself that is as important as your priduct or service.

As I mentioned before, the character of a person is very important when making business decisions. At the end of some of the most disappointing times throughout my journey, I have taken away lessons and experiences that are priceless.

There are so many more important lessons and personal experiences that I want to share with you. Look out for Chrissy's Consulting Chronicles as a premium feature very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my blog. Feel free to leave a relevant comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin